Ask Alexandra is my advice column. Have a question you want to ask me? Fill out the form here.
I love to read you hilarious posts about talentless, big-headed and poorly dressed celebrities. Now I’d like one about those who you think have a truly interesting personal style (or a good stylist)- you must have noticed a few!
Also, style icons. The term is used by fashion magazines to describe pretty much every starlet they want to write about. Who would you consider a real style icon of today, someone who knows how to dress and actually influences fashion?
This is such a difficult question to answer, and I have spent a month trying to figure out an answer. Finally I just decided on a list of names but I am pretty sure it is incomplete. This is super complicated, as I can’t separate the way a celebrity looks from the way that they behave. So while I’d say that someone like Daphne Guinness or Sienna Miller have good style, I think they are a bit stupid, so it is hard to respect them. But for the sake of this post, I have tried to compile a list of people I think have great style. And I suppose some of them (Kate Moss, Michelle Obama) are icons, too.
The Stars: These are women who are well-dressed and whom I respect professionally.
- Carey Mulligan: Love her non-sexy, classic look.
- Michelle Obama: Yay to supporting young brands, edgy brands, and looking practical when necessary.
- Rooney Mara: For now, she looks awesome, but who knows what she will do next, once she is no longer Lisbeth Salander.
- Diane Kruger: Always looks amazing.
- Milla Jovovich: Same as above.
- Chloe Sevigny: Love her effortless, cool, young style.
The Dolls: These ladies look great but are a bit silly at times.
- Gwyneth Paltrow: I’m embarrassed to say I read Goop, but I do think she looks good. The main issue here is the fact that the is married to Chris Martin. Anyone who is in the Coldplay family cannot command much respect.
- Carine Roitfeld: I love that she pioneered the smoky eye and pencil skirt look, but I’m sick of her promoting her kids and talking about “porno chic.”
- Kate Moss: I wish she’d retire for five years and then make a comeback so everyone would actually be excited to see her face on the cover of UK Vogue. You can’t deny that she was the first person to get people excited about “models off duty.” Sure, she wore Uggs. But she looked good most of the time.
The Barbies: This group are super well-dressed but I think they are ridiculous or I have little or no respect for their work.
- Daphne Guinness: I loathe when Guinness talks about “work.” As if a billionaire heiress, who considers buying all of Isabella Blow’s wardrobe “work,” has a right to complain about something she knows bugger all about. Generally, I think she is a bit stupid, but I love that she wears the crazy, outlandish fashion that we rarely get to see otherwise.
- Sienna Miller: As a wannabee hippy (I’d just like to hang around in my backyard wearing jeans for the rest of my life), I can appreciate Sienna Miller’s boho chic style. But the fact that she thinks she can be a designer it extremely annoying. And I’ve never seen her do any good acting, either.
I know I’m missing out on loads of people here.. who would you add to this list?